 |
Genevieve Ryan Wright and Sr. Mary Philip Ryan, OP taken October 12, 1979 |
The night I caught the genealogy bug
It was the Fall of 1979, I had transferred from a community college to Barat College in Lake Forest, IL and my English teacher, Dee Konrad asks the entire class to create a family tree. I recalled putting a basic tree together in both grammar school and high school. However, this time I felt that I should delve deeper into my Irish roots.
In my quest for primary sources, I contacted my father’s two sisters Eileen and Genevieve (both schoolteachers) to inquire about my paternal grandparents.
I knew that my grandmother Annie Sexton was from Ballynacally, Clare, Ireland, and years prior I was told that my grandmother’s mother was a Dundon, whose mother was a Cooley, whose mother was a Sage. I also recalled hearing that my great grandmother, Mary Dundon Sexton had given birth to twenty or maybe it was twenty-two children with a set of twins. So, I asked my Aunt Eileen to elaborate more about her mother’s side of the family and as she began to tell me the names of the eleven Sexton children who immigrated in the late 19thand early 20th century to Chicago, I hurriedly started to write down the information on a yellow legal pad.
My Aunt Gen told me that my grandfather Michael Ryan was from Limerick, he was the youngest in his family and came with his widowed mother in the early 1890’s to join his older siblings. At one point it was suggested that I contact an older first cousin, Margaret who had entered the Adrian Dominican order in 1920 and took the name Mary Philip Ryan, OP, (SMP). In 1967, SMP had authored a book, "Amid the Alien Corn" about the early history of the congregation.
As a child I recall SMP came to visit us at our home. I received a handmade wallet made in the Philippines where she had been living in the ‘60’s. It was obvious to me that SMP was revered by my father and his siblings. At Christmas time she would send a religious looking card with a lovely note. So, when it was suggested, I contact her I seized the opportunity. As I now recall we did not have a lengthy conversation about the Ryan clan on the phone. Instead SMP suggested she would write down some info and would see me in Chicago as she was planning on attending the Wedding reception of my cousin Tucker.
On October 12, 1979, SMP handed me an envelope with three legal sized pages of information: one a chart showing the relationship of my father and his siblings, his aunts and uncles and grandparents; and two pages of background info on the McGrath and Ryan clan typed single spaced with corrections and notes written in her hand. I read the information with great zeal and thus began my deep interest to learn more about my Irish ancestors.
For the next twenty-three years I would keep in touch with SMP. If she came to Chicago, she knew she could count on me to pick her up and be her chauffeur. I would make many trips with my Aunts to Adrian, Michigan to visit her. The conversation would often turn to speaking of those that I had never met but began to feel as though I knew them through her many stories of the past.
On the day SMP celebrated her 99th birthday, her dear cousin Genevieve and the last of my father’s siblings was being laid to rest. I contacted Sr. Rosemary Ferguson, OP to let her know that later in the week I would drive up with my sister to break the news to SMP. It was a very emotional moment for me as the elevator door opened to her wing in Maria, my mind was flooded with memories of the many trips I had made to Adrian. Now I was thinking of my very first trip in 1987 when I drove my Aunt Mary and Aunt Gen to be with their cousin on the occasion of her receiving the Siena Medal at the University's commencement exercises.
The Siena Medal is given occasionally and is the highest honor given by Siena Heights University and honors individuals who embody "Christian commitment and help to transform the social and political world." SMP received this honor for her "Christian commitment to making the world a better place in which we live through her efforts in education". I was honored to drive my Aunts to Adrian, and we stayed on the campus in Weber Center that weekend. Hence forth, I welcomed the opportunity to take Aunt Kay and Aunt Gen for overnight visits.
 |
Siena Heights President, Sr. Cathleen Real, C.H.M., congratulates Sr. Mary Philip Ryan, O.P. upon receiving the Siena Medal (1987) |
%20SMP%20with%20Cousins.jpeg) |
SMP with her niece Mary Vigil and cousins Mary McNamara, Genevieve Wright and MER (May 1987) |
About a month ahead of SMP 100th birthday I again made a trip with my sister, and we discussed her upcoming birthday lunch. I suggested that we establish a named scholarship in her honor that would support students from the Philippines or of Philippine descent who are majoring in the humanities. She humbly and joyously agreed it was a lovely idea.
 |
SMP in her room prior to celebrating her Birthday with family and fellow religious |
 |
In honor of SMP's 101st birthday, Ken Thompson dedicated a sculpture to her Titled "Dominican Arch: The beginning was casual" Located in the Adrian Dominican Cemetery |
In the fall of 2002, I was now working in Wisconsin and received a phone call from Sr. Rosemary Ferguson, OP to tell me that Mary Phil had suffered a stroke on Tuesday, October 15th. We agreed she’d keep me informed as to Mary Phil’s condition and I would make my last trip alone to Adrian Saturday night. I arrived around 12 a.m. and stayed until Sunday afternoon. The following day after work I sent an email to cousins with the following update.
To all those that have expressed concern for Sister Mary Philip -
I drove up to Adrian Saturday evening to say good-bye to a woman of saintly stature and composure. A woman who has quietly and knowingly touched so many of our lives with her spiritual warmth and understanding and a true legend in her own right. She acknowledged me with a smile and words that were not audible – with her left hand she clasped mine while I sat and spoke to her. I sense her frustration at not being able to communicate.
Please pray that God calls her home quickly because although she is strong and in control mentally... she cannot swallow and has not had any solids since last Tuesday. The nuns are taking turns staying with her around the clock and she is being looked after with the utmost care and love. How the final chapter of her life ends seems to be up to SMP and God. I pray that they collaborate on a quick and peaceful ending soon.
By the way, I was asked to communicate to all family/friends that when God does call Sister Mary Philip home we will be more than welcome to come to Adrian and help celebrate her wonderful and very full life. So that you may plan accordingly, I was told that typically Funeral masses are held at 10:30 a.m. and for those that wish to come the night before, rooms will be available in Weber Center. Love to all, Maureen
On October 22, 2002, Sr. Mary Philip Ryan, passed away peacefully surrounded by members of her congregation. A wake was held on Thursday, October 24th and her funeral mass and burial was well attended by friends, relatives and fellow religious who came from near and far to pay their last respects on Friday, October 25, 2002.
 |
In Memory of Sister Mary Philip Ryan May 9, 1901 - October 22, 2002 |
The last twenty years since SMP has passed away, I have continued my research as time permits. I know SMP would be thrilled to learn of my many discoveries. For instance, she was named Margaret after her father’s grandmother, Margaret Deer Ryan (b. 1805 – d. 1887) from Clonganhue, Tipperary, Ireland. SMP’s maternal grandmother was a Sexton from county Clare, Ireland and she was always curious to know if she was indeed related to my grandmother Annie Sexton. While I have yet to confirm a Sexton connection to SMP, I have found various on-line genealogy resources and DNA testing most helpful in my research. Along my journey I have connected with so many cousins who like me are interested in genealogy. So today, and most every day I think of SMP and am so grateful for her imparting her love of history and sharing family stories.
###
No comments:
Post a Comment