Saturday, November 12, 2016

Oh Danny Boy We Loved You So...

One week ago today, my third cousin, Daniel J. Moriarty, Jr. passed away.  Dan was a great storyteller and he loved to sing. So, I suspect he has been warmly greeted and welcomed to the everlasting Irish party that continues in heaven.  In his memory I created this short YouTube video, it features my mother Mickie playing the piano while Dan Moriarty Sr., George Connelly Sr., Phil Ryan and Reverend William Ryan,CM sing songs on the day that Tommy Connelly was baptized in 1953.  The black & white photos were taken on Thanksgiving (Nov 26,1953) at my grandparent's (Annie Sexton and Mike Ryan) 50th Wedding Anniversary party hosted at the South Shore View Hotel. The photos include Dan's Uncle Fr. Bill and his grandmother Mary Ellen Ryan.  Mary Ellen's husband Thomas Ryan and my grandfather Mike were first cousins.  

Irish Blessings to all who enjoy the songs and the merriment as much as I did.  This ones for you, Danny Boy,  we loved you so!




DANIEL MORIARTY (1938-2016)

Devoted husband, father, and friend passed away peacefully November 5, 2016. He was born in Chicago on December 27, 1938, to the late Daniel and the late Therese (nee Ryan) Moriarty. He served the Chicago Fire Department for 35 years, retiring in 2004 as a director, and moving to his beloved, Grand Beach, Michigan. Daniel is survived by his darling, Kaye (nee Weaver), his wife of 45 years; his daughters; Kara (Michael) Patterson, of Prior Lake, Minnesota; Erin Moriarty of Boise, Idaho; and Bridget (Chris) Kane of Chicago; grandchildren, Joseph Blatz, Mary Claire, Caitriona and Stephen Patterson; and Collen and Emily Kane; his brother, Reverend Barry Moriarty, CM, sisters; Sr. Rita Moriarty, CSJ, Sharon (Doug) Waite, Terry, and Mary Beth (Stan) Sorrels and the late Carol (Ted) Sweeney; many nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews and thousands of friends. Daniel was loyal to his friends, devoted to family, and adored his wife and daughters and enjoyed life. Blessed with a beautiful tenor voice he serenaded his way into our heart. Oh, Danny Boy, now our hearts are broken. Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated on Tuesday, November 8, 6 p.m. at St. Vincent DePaul Church, 1010 W. Webster Ave, Chicago, IL 60614. Viewing from 4-6 prior to Mass. Private burial at St. Mary's Cemetery, Chicago. In lieu of flowers contribution may be made to the Congregation of the Mission, Mission in Kenya, vincentian.org 


I attended the Celebration of Dan's life on Tuesday, November 8th at St. Vincent DePaul Church and afterward told Danny's brother, Father Barry Moriarty, CM that I had created the above YouTube video.  I then asked for permission to include his beautiful homily (below) in this post.  


Mass of the Resurrection
 November 8, 2016
St. Vincent DePaul Church



Homily (reproduced with permission)                                     Father Barry Moriarty, CM.
I’d like to thank each of you in the name of the family for Kaye, and Kara, and Erin and Bridget for joining us tonite. We’re also so very much indebted to the medical staff at the University of Chicago Hospital. as well as the doctors and nurses at Porter Regional Hospital in Chesterton and the Hospice staff at St Anthony’s Hospital in Michigan City. Their professionalism, competency and loving care will always be remembered.
The surgical procedure that Dan underwent was a well thought out decision. He had been suffering from chronic arthritis in his legs for the past year. He met with the surgeon from the University of Chicago Hospital and decided to undergo the procedure that this surgeon suggested, During Labor Day weekend I talked to him about the surgery, and he felt that this is what he had to do and wanted to do. The continuing disablement that he was experiencing couldn’t continue. And he looked forward to undergoing the surgery that would address his chronic condition. The surgery was long and arduous, but he came through it successfully, but other complications arose with infections and diabetes that eventually he was not able to overcome.
At 5 AM Saturday Oct. 29, Bridget called to tell me that Dan was taken to Porter Regional Hospital and he was in critical condition. Fr. Michael Njeru and I drove to Porter and visited Dan in intensive care. He was on oxygen and had numerable tubes attached to him. I anointed him, and I didn’t think he would make it through that day.
On Sunday the 30th. he showed a few signs of improvement. When I saw him on Monday the 31st, he was miraculously improved. He was eating solid food, could stand and was showing signs of recovering. But the change was transient and by the end of the week we knew that we were going to lose him. He died very peacefully on Sat at 11:45 AM. For the family the week was a gift for saying our good byes and a time to be with him and to let him know he was not alone. 
Kaye and the girls Kara, Erin and Bridget and we siblings and a number of dear family friends saw him off to his place of final union with the Lord. 
The last few days have been days of remembering. When we arrived back in Grand Beach we were constantly hearing Dan stories from all his life long friends in the village. They were touching and funny and many were quite hilarious. Many were also describing his outrageously, funny stories.
Some years back I had a group of Vincentian Kenyan seminarians in the States for special training. When Christmas came, Dan and Kaye invited us to spend the holiday with them in Grand Beach. After our first evening together, the Kenyans Christened Dan with the name The Story Man. That was about 15 years ago and when I hear from them to this day they often ask: “How is the Story Man.” 
One needs to use a large canvas to capture the portrait of Dan. A good friend said to me the other day that the great French novelist Emil Zola said about himself: “If you ask me what I came into the world to do, I will tell you I came to live out loud.” And that was certainly Danny.

Another friend wrote today that years ago our Mom and Dad had to meet with the Brothers at Leo High School to get Dan’s midterm evaluation. When they asked how Dan was doing the Irish brother said: “Daniel excels in fun.” The friend said that to this day when she thinks of Dan, it always brings a smile to her face.
A part of Dan that we were all familiar with was that he truly accepted the invitation to follow Jesus. And we remember and celebrate that segment of his life today. As John depicts in the Gospel we just proclaimed, he saw Jesus as the Way. Thomas the Apostle thinks of the Way as a road or at least a road map. Dan looked at it differently. For him the Way is an inner commitment or a way of life. And that inner conviction grounded his faith and his way of life. He loved the Church, and what it stands for. He admired and supported those who committed themselves fully to that way of life. He admired our Sister Rita who committed herself to the pastoral outreach of the Church and especially to those who were the most needy. That inspired him. He loved the priesthood and had a cousin, an uncle and a brother who were priests.
Personally I can say that Dan was always very supportive and encouraging to me. And he believed in the universal mission of the church. I remember one time Erin told me when I was in Kenya to stay in regular contact with him because he always worried when he didn’t hear from me for a length of time. When the American Embassy was bombed I was stationed in Nairobi. And Danny thought that I was living next door to the Embassy or I was walking in front of the Embassy or I was at the front desk. We finally connected a few days later, and I told him I was a half hour away. And then I mentioned that Frank Stone had contacted me by phone within an hour after the bombing. Danny’s remark was: “Did he call collect?”
Like his name sake, The Prophet Daniel, Dan believed that “those who lead the many to justice shall be like the stars forever.” He believed in the final outcome the Lord has in mind for all of us.
And these words Ray Kelly read from Corinthians were his words to us tonight. “Farewell. I truly wish you all joy in the Lord. And now, my family, all that is true, all that is noble, all that is just and pure, all that is lovable and gracious, whatever is excellent and admirable — fill your thoughts with these things. 
When we end the service tonite, the casket will be turned around with Dan’s feet first. This is a subtle but beautiful symbol of Dan moving forward and being born into eternal life. And this is what we are celebrating tonight. 

###




2 comments:

  1. THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL POST AND TRIBUTE TO MY DAD. THANKS FOR PUTTING THIS TOGETHER - BRIDGET

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget today I am reliving the memory of your dad and my parents as I watched the video again. I now have come to realize that the priest singing is none other than Fr. William Ryan, CM - your father's Uncle Bill! Wishing all a very blessed Thanksgiving holiday! Your cousin, Maureen

      Delete